Life through my eyes......

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Locaversary

Happy Locaversary to MEEE!!!!!













Day 1 October 19th, 2005














One Year Later


So if you scroll down you can see that yesterday was my blogbirthday or blogaversary (whatever you wanna call it), today is my locaversary and tomorrow is my real BIRTHDAY!!! WOOOO HOOO party harty LOL

Over the years I've done so much stuff to my head..it's been dyed, fryed and laid to that side LOL. It's been shoulder length, chin length, mushroom cut and finger tip length. I even use to go to the salon once every two weeks spending between 40-80 getting my hair did. So after I got tired of spending all that money I decided that something had to be done. I'd seen locs before or dreads as many people call them and decided to take a step out and loc my hair. First I researched...and when I say researched I looked at every website google or aol and even msn had to offer. I looked at pics of people with locs..short ones, long ones, colored ones, grayed ones...people who had locs for like 30 years LOL. I looked and whites, blacks and asians who had locs...how they went about locing their hair..the dos and don'ts of locing. I joined a couple of yahoo groups...talk to my moms about it...I've always been one to take her opinion very seriously. After I think I learned what I needed to know I had to decide how I wanted to loc my hair. Did I want to freeform....comb coils..or just not comb my hair and hope for the best LOL...well I like my hair to be neat so I decided to go with the comb coil part minus the comb LOL...my roomie took time out of her schedule (and she still does) to part and twist my hair...I began by getting them done every 2 weeks just because I didnt' like the messy look and believe you me...you have to be ready for the messy look. I bought so many hats during the first months you would have thought I didn't have any hair LOL. I still wear a hat occassionally just not as much as I did before. I was so blessed to have someone who lives with me take care of my locs for me cause I tried to twist them suckas on my own it took me over 2 hours and I still had to get help my dang on arm was hurting LOL
There were times when I wanted to just untwist my hair and run and get a perm and yes there are times when I've questioned what the heck I'm doing (like when I colored my hair a week ago and I had all this buildup LOL, that scared the mess out of me thought my locs were gonna break off) but I've recieved so many compliments and I have fallen in love with my babies that cutting them off now would seriously damage me LOL. I love how I can wake up in the morning and just do a lil hand wave in my hair and walk out the door. Yea I throw oil in them, or spray them but for the most part I can wake and go...and I love that. I love finding new ways to wear them (I'm on loc websites all the time LOL..and you have any suggesstions let a sista know) I love how I notice the buds on the ends of my hair I love how they are individual...some are thinner some are getting thicker. I love finding new things to put in them like loc jewlery cause it makes them look oohhh so jazzy lol I love how I've colored them and although I colored them myself (so many people dont' recommend this) I did a great job and it goes great with my skin tone. Taking the time to become more aware about my natural hair has also made me take a look at how I take care of my body...I'm not a vegan nor am I giving up meat any time soon LOL..but I try to a lil bit more healthier cause I want my hair to be healthier. On top of that I've always liked guys with locs so now this gives me something to talk about with them LOL..and yes I have seen some ugly guys with locs so I don't run to every man i see with locs...come on LOL
As you can see they are still growing and changing and I look forward to each day that I wake and notice that they have gotten a tad bit longer. They do appear longer when they are wet and as soon as they dry LOL they shrivel up but hey it is what it is and that's just a stage in their growth..they will get to the point where even when they shrivel they will be long :) What I have learned during this year of hair discovery is that everything you read in books about locs might not be for you...you have to know your hair and head and how it reacts to things. It's nice that folks try to help me out by offering suggestions but just because you only got yours done once every 2 months doesn't mean that it's what I'm gonna do...and save the if you twist them too much they will fall out for someone else LOL...
I'll be happy when I can pull them all into a pony tail but for right now I'm satisfied with two baby pony tails in the front :) I'm so happy with my decision and any one that is contemplating going all natural HOLLLAAAA AT ME!
posted by Ms.Honey at 6:15 AM

25 Comments:

What else are you celebrating this week. Blogaversary, Locaversary, Birthday. This is really your week. The locs look good on you.

October 19, 2006  

I am feeling inspired to loc my hair. I want to go chemical free, but I don't know how to go about it. Congrats on one year of locs!

October 19, 2006  

Happy Locaversary and pre-birthday...go ahead and celebrate...

October 19, 2006  

dang girl you got all kinds of stuff going on this week. i considered going natural, but my hair is so thick i don't even want to think about it. i am actually letting my daughter's relaxer grow out so she can go natural no locs though. i know that took you some work, but your locs look nice!

October 19, 2006  

go on witcha bad self! i love your locs. how come yours never looked bad? mine looked crappy during the first year.

damn, i don't even remember when i started mine. i think it was sometime this month too...

October 19, 2006  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 19, 2006  

WOW, that's a whole lot of celebrating going on!

Just like you, your locks are beautiful.

Happy Birthday and Happy Locaversary!

October 19, 2006  

Girl this is so inspiring. My hair hasn't locked up all the way and is currently a mess! I can't wait till they are matured so I can stop rocking all these scarfs!

Happy loc-versary!

Naani.com
http://www.nappturality.com/
dreadheadhq.com
carolsdaughter.com

Here's a few sites!

October 19, 2006  

jeeezus you sure do have alot going on.....happy locaversary...

so when you say twist do you mean the two strain twists....

October 19, 2006  

jeeezus you sure do have alot going on.....happy locaversary...

so when you say twist do you mean the two strain twists....

October 19, 2006  

organized....thanks suga

mizz jj...I love my hair LOL

guide..thanks mannn!!

the l...yea i know funny huh

thoughts..I didn't think I was gonna do it and now that I've done it I lovveee it LOL..but I don't push nothing on no one LOL

nikki..girl I had some bad days I just didn't take pics haha

rahman..aww thank you..makin me blush

robert..I do look like some warm honey don't I LOL..let me stop

lady..thanks for the websites I actually go on napptuality ALOT LOL..I'll look at carols daughter...you can do it!!!

knowone..new pic huh..get it jazzy haha..nah just twisted no two strands (some people do start off that way though)

October 19, 2006  

Happy Blogaversary and Locaversary!!

I also have locks and I am loving it. I would not change having locks for anything.

October 19, 2006  

Happy to all your Happies. LOL.

I have not permed my hair in over two years. I have mostly worn braids and wigs. I done the pressing. I just have not worn my natural hair out.

My hair has broken off, grown thick and crazy where I don't know what to do with it.

Now I am comtemplating locs. I have heard of the awkward phases and my old co-worker was ready to snatch them out. LOL. She has naturally curly hair and it grew like crazy past her shoulders.

My hair is so funny acting I don't know how it would react.

October 19, 2006  

Congrats on 1 yr of locs...I know it wasnt easy...one of these days honey one of these day I too will throw away the dark and lovely....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! whatcha plan on doing?

October 19, 2006  

@ Honey

Im going to email you my cell...we so have to kick it :-)

October 19, 2006  

If you're happy, WE'RE HAPPY! This is all about you girl!

Congrats on your blog-aversary too! What a milestone!!!

October 20, 2006  

I contemplated locs before but I had a few people tell me that my hair is way to fine and it might not loc. I don't know if that is true, but I didn't really have my heart set on it. But I love me a man with some sexy ass locs.

BTW.. Happy Birthday.

October 20, 2006  

The locs are cute on you! Happy early birthday to you!

October 20, 2006  

Happy birtday, Happy Blogaversay *I didn't do anything to celebrate mines :)*, Happy Locaversay... and I must say you are looking so beautiful.

peace

October 20, 2006  

happy locaversary, birthday and blogaversary! there's a lot of celebrating going on!

i've been thinking about locing my hair, but i don't know. however, i went natural 4 years ago in December and i'm thankfully. everytime i think of perming it, i look at pics of where my hair was permed and think better of it. oh, and i looove nappturality.com too!

October 21, 2006  

Congrats and many more years of good writing!!!

October 21, 2006  

happy blog b'day...way to stay afloat...

October 23, 2006  

your hair is beautiful!
and so are you. Happy locaversary.
Any other celebrations coming up?

October 23, 2006  

damn girl.. u think u got enough things to celebrate!!!! LOL

Well happy blogaversary, locaversary and actual BORN DAY!!!

now I'm waiting for the details of da birthday festivities..


holla

October 24, 2006  

You workin those locs girl!!!

October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home