Life through my eyes......

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cater to you.....

So I was talking to a friend this morning and she said that the other day in class they were talking about how they might change some policies with companies that don't allow people to have braids, dreads (and if they do they have to be shoulder length) or have too many holes in their ears. So I asked her what she thought about it and she said it shouldn't be based on how you look because we get an education for a reason which is correct but that got me to thinking perhaps the white man wants to make sure we don't "barass him".

I then said "Masa say I can get my ers perced and we's gawn have a pata afta" She laughed but then I told her that when I first thought about getting locs I did think about what my bosses would say. I also told her that when I dyed my hair a almost honey blond and cut it all off I couldnt' help but wonder what my bosses would think. I'm glad to say that my bosses didn't say one thing other than oh you changed your hair.

But I told her that when I first interviewed for the positon at the law firm I work at I had microbraids and they were up in a bun and I was dressed the part. I'd also been working my job for almost a year when I decided to cut my hair and dye it..so by then they already knew my work product and knew that I not only knew what I was doing but that I had some form of home training. So while we are conversing on this topic it got me to thinking if I were a boss what kind of person would I want to hire. Of course I would want them to come to the interview dressed for an interview not with pants hanging down, or their hair a mess. Which is why when my lil "baby" locs tend to look a lil bushy I begg my room mate to twist them because I am a professional and I don't have time to be looking like buckwheat's lil sister (lol). Not only do I have an image to uphold...everyone that knows me knows that I like to look nice but I work for a law firm and I know that if I were a client I would not want to see my lawyer with messed up hair or raggedy clothes because then I would begin to think about what else was messy on them (my auntie told me that if a man's wife beater is dirty then his draws might be too).

So an upkept apperance is something that you need to be on top of if you want to make it in this world. Of course there are people who are going to say well I have tattoos and I want to be a judge ok boo do what you do but don't go into your court room with a mohawk and expect people to take you seriously..there is a time and place for everything and you can save the mohawk and 50 million tattoos for when you are out with the bike club.

I'm not saying change who you are..but be real with yourself. Although you may have graduated from Princeton sum cum laude (I think that's right) you can't expect that to speak for it's self. Sad thing is, appearance is probably 80% of the job battle out here. Each day it's getting harder and harder to stay on top....why do something to make you look like you have no clue as to what is going on in the world......

I love my locs and at this point even though they are still "babies" I wouldn't cut them if when I got a new job they requested that I do it..because they are kept neat and are well taken care of...I would weigh my options and go with what I feel is best. Now if they talking 6 figures I'd lean a lil harder toward cuttin em off LOL...hey what can I say a sister got to pay bills

posted@11:11am
posted by Ms.Honey at 7:58 AM

7 Comments:

I totally agree with you.
I look at it this way...look the part. Not necessarily CONFORM.
Ask yourself, would my apperance offend anyone...sturrup pants with cottage cheese underneath, wearing sandals and your feet look AND smell like they were just dipped in cheese and flour? Boobs hanging out? Have a tat on your knuckles that say F*CK YOU and you work with children? Hmmmm...I would have to question THAT person!
Ya Know?
Holla!

January 25, 2006  

@tj girl you are too funny. Those sturrup pants if I see another momma with those on I'm gonna arrest her myself LOL. I wouldn't be able to take that person seriously either

January 25, 2006  

I have to agree w/ Mrs.tj, Look the part. Not saying don't stand out or be a individual, b/c it comes a point to whom are you trying to please.
But if you were to do locs as long as they were kept up and you felt comfortable w/ them then go for it.

January 26, 2006  

Good points. Gosh my brain is fried. I am glad this post was as long as the others...(who am I to complain)...lol. I still have to finish the last one..lol. You are going to have to update your picture...it's about that time sister.

January 26, 2006  

I have locs and I was starting a new job right after I got them and I also feared of what they would perceive me as at the interview because at the time my hair was only about 3-4inches. But I figured out a way to style them appropriately and got the job. As long as you have the confidence, look professional and well groomed, it shouldn't matter what hair style you have. Great post.

January 26, 2006  

They had a big stink up in NY regarding policeman who have locs and I think that the force preferred them not to have them for safety reasons but the union got involved and it was squashed. As long as it's neat and you don't have any tree bark hanging from them it shouldn't be a problem.

January 26, 2006  

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Ferrari bucket cap Caribbean cruise lines job listings Cheap military telephone calling cards Land rover discovery gs low profile tyres canada in xenical Free keno pseudo random numbers generator download The great off road bikini adventure Hs 15 gerber plotter http://www.home-security-louisiana.info/regal-polly-perk-coffee-maker.html Cadillac cts mechanical diagrams Adipex $89

March 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home