Life through my eyes......

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

R.I.F

Remember that Reading Is Fundamental.

Man that use to be my favorite time of the year, my lil heart use to pound and I'd wanna be the first person in line (which happened a few times since I'm a shorty and always have been). I wanted to be the first to run up the book table and see what I could grab before everyone else did. Would it be Goosebumps this week or perhaps a BabySitters Club book I sooo wanted to be Claudia even though she was Japanese lol.

Reading books is something I def want to instill in my nieces and nephews and of course my children. For each holiday/birthday and every event in between I buy books, which means my nieces and nephews will probably be like here come Auntie Honey with them dang on books LOL. I use to be able to read a book a day...still can when I have time.

With school starting in two weeks I've decided that my brain will be overloaded with legal stuff so I'm going to relieve some stress by delving back into my favorite past time....READING.

I can remember when I was in elementary school and Wed was library day. I use to even dress up lol for a long time Wed was my favorite day of the week, one because of library time and two because it was bible study night at church. Yea I was a weird child I know but I loved/love the simple things in life.

So after work yesterday I hit up the library near my house....got my library card...listened to the lil presentation about having late fees after about 10 min of talking...or what felt like 10 min of talking I was released to the stacks. I can get so lost in there when I finally left it was like almost 830 and the library closed at 9.

Reading is one of the things that can excite me so much I get lost in my own little world....so once I got home I couldnt' decide whether I wanted to read first or watch TV....TV won out a lil but once I realized that I had missed more than half of my Tuesday night show- Secret Life of the American Teenager--bad acting I know but I cant help but wanna know how she is going to handle being preg in HS (that is until SVU comes back on) I turned to Family Guy.

I poured over my 5 books (wanted to get more but my arms were hurting) trying to decide which one I wanted to read first and decided on SCOTTSBORO by Ellen Feldman. It must have been meant for me to read this cause I had just finished watching a depiction of this book on TV last weekend. In case you're not familiar with this story here is a brief description: The case of the Scottsboro Boys arose in Scottsboro, Alabama during the 1930s, when nine black youths, ranging in age from twelve[1] to nineteen, were falsely accused of raping two white women, Victoria Price and Ruby Bates. Although repeatedly found guilty and sentenced to death by all-white southern juries, the case garnered international attention and eventually all the men went free, the last over 20 years from the initial incident.

Very interesting movie and the book should be even better (I always think the book is better than the movie..prime example the Notebook by Nicholas Stark and the follow-up book the Wedding...hands down the best LOVE story in the world)

So I'm at it again I will prob be done half these books by Sunday lol....I learned to speed read in elementary school too and I dont skim and scan I actually read and can remember various small details of what I've read.

So if you're a reader...email me some of your favorites (mshoneylibra@gmail.com)
I'll read em and perhaps they will become some of my favorites as well.

Happy Reading!!!!

posted@11:53am
posted by Ms.Honey at 8:34 AM

11 Comments:

i moved about a month ago and since then, haven't had cable or local television. i went to the library and got a library card and promptly checked out about fifteen books (and haven't finished a one yet. LOL)

currently reading two books:

rabbit, run by john updike
on writing by stephen king

both are good. i'm especially loving the poetic nature of updike's prose. not sure if his characters have enough development for me though. i'll know by the end of the book.

August 13, 2008  

Nikki..Cool I love stephen king so I will def check that out and I'll add the other to my list as well.

August 13, 2008  

the dowry bride is a novel about a young Indian woman who overhears a plot to murder someone whose parents have not been able to come up with the necessary dowry after 1 year of marriage. Wait a minute, the victim is supposed to be her! What is she going to do?

August 13, 2008  

GC...LOL did you write it cause you had me at the end like i def need to get that lol

August 13, 2008  

oh, wow, you are opening up a can of worms with this one! i love to read as well; if i could find a well paying job doing just that, i'd jump on it!

i just finished She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. it took me a minute to get into, but it turned out to be great.

right now i'm reading Blood Colony by Tananarive Due. the book's sci-fi, but not one of her best. i liked My Soul to Keep better.

i don't know if you like non-fiction, but you might also check out Savage Inequalities, bu Johnathan Kozol. it'll anger you to read how our nation's failing our students.

i'll stop there, otherwise i'd be here all night w/ recommendations!

August 13, 2008  

Ms. Honey,

I am so glad that you have such great RIF memories!

Now you can help children who need it most build their own RIF memories.

RIF has partnered with Macy’s in order to “Book A Brighter Future” for the millions of children in the U.S. who lack adequate access to books. For only $3, people are making a difference in the lives of children in their communities and across the country!

You can help too! Simply stop by your local Macy’s and give $3 to help provide free books to children near you and nationwide. For your support, Macy’s will give you a $10 off shopping pass to use on eligible purchases of $50 or more.* Macy’s will donate 100 percent of every $3 to RIF.

Learn more at http://www.RIF.org

August 14, 2008  

Well, much like everyone I'm an avid reader. One of my favorite authors is Walter Mosley. I read two of his books, "Gone Fishin" and "A little Yellow dog," both excellent books. Yellow dog being part I and Gone Fishin part 2.

I could list a million books, but it looks like you've got a pretty good list going!

PS..

I loved the Book fairs too!

August 14, 2008  

i'm an avid reader and you can check out some of the books i've read on my Shelfari on my blog. i'm about to read Nothing To Lose by Lee Child.

love!

August 14, 2008  

I love reading too...I use to go to the library so much the security guard who would flirt with me handed me an application one day...he was like you here so much you should get paid for it...lol

um...one of my favorite books Tar Baby - Toni Morrison...but I also like poetry books a lot.

August 14, 2008  

If no one has suggested it to you yet, you should definitely read The Kite Runner. I picked it up in a Borders in the airport on my way to my honeymoon and I couldn't put it down. It was a beautiful, heart-wrenching story. I must read! The author's name is Khaled Hosseni.

Cheers,
SRae

August 15, 2008  

no
it's a pass-it-on book ie I got it from another blogger and if you promise you'll pass it on, I'll send it to you

August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home